Wednesday, March 9, 2011

the devil wears prada

This week has been a awesome!

Not only have I almost finished art project #1...tada! (still have to pick out a phrase and carve the letters to stamp on there)

*note the $8 flea market frame*
**someday i will get a nice camara so these pictures don't look so blah**




...I am also seeing the light at work! The way I feel this week is JUST like that moment in The Devil Wears Prada, where Anne Hathaway while getting slammed at work, realized that she totally can switch gears and take the house down. Working 50+ hours per week can be taxing in any line of work, but customer service/management of rental cars is especially so. There is a high turnover rate in this industry. I have come home and vented to Brigham many times about how often I consider going back to school for something else, or am not sure if I am cut out for managing people or running a business. Of course, he always leaves it up to me. A little intuitive pulse inside urges me to stay the course though, and that in the long run this experience will be a huge benefit for me. In general, I have had an interesting journey trying to create a career path and really commit myself to it. I've finally realized that I will be happiest if I just become the best person at what I choose to do, whatever that happens to be. Ultimately, it is the mundane, unglamorous things that really seem to amount the most at the end of the day.

In a similar vein, I AM switching gears and WILL BE making time for all the little things I love- like the things I wrote about in my prior blog post. No more of this madness of letting my life be run by a hectic schedule. I'm taking control! Although time is a limited resource, I've discovered by last week's artistic ventures that it's what keeps my fire burning bright.

BONUS goodness! This Sunday while at my friend Jessica's house for dinner (I visit teach her too), I discovered that we share a passion for making handmade books and printmaking!! Hello new art buddy!!! We are both thoroughly excited, well I can't speak for her, but I know I am :) Can't wait to hang out and make cool stuff.

3 comments:

Emily said...

now that is the jones i know!! amazing piece, of course! keep up the good work my friend! you are inspiring me to pick up the pencil and draw!!

McKay and Jessica said...

HEY HEY GIRL! I am so excited to make art with you! we need to plan this an put it in the books so we can do it. I have to sketch out what I will want to do. And now you have a link to my blog too! YES! Well, let's get crackin.

PS you coming tomorrow night at the commons?

Jared and Tania said...

Hey Jones!
Been a while! I just wanted to tell you and Brigham that I am so happy for you both! Seriously, seeing pictures of you two together brings a big smile to my face.

And great job on the family frame! Mega cute!