Thursday, August 6, 2009

visiting grandma

Recently my grandma Jones had a stroke, and is now confined to a wheelchair, so I make an extra effort to visit her throughout the week on my way home from work. Since one half of her body is basically useless, the things we are able to do together are limited to talking, playing yatzee, and watching FoxNEWS. Despite the fact that I grew up down the street from her, due to lifestyle differences (I am guessing?) we never spent much time together. So it has been interesting to get a glimpse into her life, her being in such a vulnerable place, needing help for the first time in a long time, maybe the first time ever.

Even though we aren't the same religion, I like to think Grandma and I are buddies...two peas in the pod, if you will. Last week she asked me to clip her nails, and I noticed for the first time that we have the same hands. She is always thinking about things until she understands them, I noticed, and is also really polite (rarely lets on when hurt or offended) but when she does get upset, she feels it through and through, and she'll only tell certain people about it- almost never the offender. She is also very independent and stubborn, and hates being helpless and vulnerable.

Sound Familiar? I hope someday I get to be called Grandma. That would be the coolest.

Dad always says "If I'd have known that having grandkids would be this fun, I'd have had them first."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Totally sounds like you. Enjoy her while you can. I am happy for the time I spent with my grandma and wish it could have been even more.

Marly C said...

Same thing happened to my Grandma. I really enjoyed that time with her. Write down all the stories she tells you. Miss you!